.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

RURAL FILES

Travelblog: Once in a lifetime voyage to the heart of India.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

My summer of unknowns…

I came to India knowing one thing—I would have to go with the flow and make the best of whatever it was I had committed to. I left my familiar world in San Francisco knowing that a taxi would pick me up outside of Nagpur’s domestic airport and transport me to this mysterious place, Shodhgram, located outside of Gadchiroli, Maharahtra. I arrived with my travel backpack, very few expectation and a million questions.

Low expectations and mental preparation for anything are the essential ingredients for a good experience. I had both. What has transpired over the last 8 weeks has been better then good. It has suprassed all hopes and expectations. This summer has been absolutely surreal. The experience has felt like a dream. I wake up now wondering if it really was a dream.

At the end of my last discussion with Dr. Bang regarding my study findings, he told me what one of his professors once told him, “good research raises more questions then it answers”. If trips are measure with the same method then this journey has been widely successful. I left SEARCH with more questions then when I arrived.

Rural women, men, and children are more of a mystery to me now then before I arrived. Their thoughts, their motivations, their lifestyle are so much more complex then I fathomed. I thought I had figured out a few things about the way the world works over the last 26 years of my existence. The last few weeks have left me scratching my head in confusion. I’ve realized I haven’t figured out much at all.

There is one more think I know… I now know what happiness feels like. As expected, the feeling of contentment is fading as fast as the clarity of the memories made in Gadchiroli. It was nice while it lasted.

1 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger Gabs said...

oh man, gargs... i am so excited for you. this has been amazing for me just reading about what you are doing. i can't wait to see how this experience has changed you and your outlook on the world. i'm sure you have some insight to bring back to us as well. and pictures too! i know you have more than you have posted. :)

i'm still finishing reading the latest entries, but i'm assuming you will be soon if you're not already on your way home. can't wait to hug you and hear more, straight from your mouth.

love you!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home